The Dark Pictures Anthology sails into release
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan is now available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
Video game news headlines delivered to your inbox daily. Click here to subscribe.
|From Bandai Namco:|
Developed by Supermassive Games, the critically-acclaimed studio behind the cult-classic thriller Until Dawn, The Dark Pictures Anthology is a series of standalone cinematic horror games driven by three common threads: an unprecedented amount of branching gameplay that yields near-limitless replayability; five controllable characters (per game) who can all live and die based on the players’ choices; and The Curator, an omnipresent narrator-like figure who seems to know just a little bit too much about Supermassive’s horrifying new universe.
“Horror is fueled by the uncertainty of the unknown, and each fraught decision in Man of Medan feeds into that underlying tension, driving players further and further into their own personal nightmares,” said Pete Samuels, CEO for Supermassive Games and executive producer for The Dark Pictures Anthology. “We’re excited to watch players submerge into the murky waters of their own unique horror experiences, and dive into the deepest depths of their worst fears—either alone, or while anxiously clutching the hands of their closest friends.”
The anthology’s maiden voyage, Man of Medan, is led by a talented cast of actors, including stars Shawn Ashmore (X-Men, Quantum Break) and Pip Torrens (The Crown, Star Wars: The Force Awakens), whose in-game likenesses are rendered in shockingly vivid detail. This chilling tale offers a frightening number of potential outcomes, daring players to carefully navigate the stormy seas ahead either alone or with friends via the game’s two multiplayer options:
“With The Dark Pictures Anthology, we’re not only looking to shake up players with terrifying tales—we’re determined to shake up the entire horror space with an innovative new take on the cinematic, narrative-driven gaming experience.” said Jennifer Tsang, Brand Manager at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. “Each title in the Anthology will stand on its own as a self-contained adventure while still remaining true to the core tenets of the series, offering players the unique opportunity to enjoy a diverse range of independent stories.”
Shared Story Mode
• Two-player online co-op wherein players explore the world, perform actions and make choices that affect both the outcome of the story, and fate of their respective characters
• Experience the narrative through unique perspectives—sometimes together, sometimes alone—in totally separate scenes that reveal new information, locations, and scares than the single-player mode
Movie Night Mode
• Up to five players can team up offline by sharing one controller, each taking charge of the movement, decisions and choices of one unique character
• Players can decide to either save themselves, or try to keep their friends’ characters alive
• Each player’s actions will be judged, with in-game achievements & rewards distributed at the end of the playthrough