Stormblood rains down in June
At the Final Fantasy Fan Festival 2016 in Tokyo, it was announced that the Stormblood expansion will launch on June 20th.
Video game news headlines delivered to your inbox daily. Click here to subscribe.
|From Square Enix:|
During the keynote address, producer/director Naoki Yoshida announced a plethora of new details for Stormblood, including the following:
· New Job - Red Mage (DPS Role): The highly anticipated red mage job will make its debut in Stormblood as a ranged magic DPS, wielding a rapier and magicked crystal medium. A very mobile attacker, the red mage dives in and out of melee combat, assaulting enemies with red magic and short-ranged attacks. The red mage also has the ability to link multiple spells with chainspell, dealing massive damage and following them up with melee attacks.
· Swimming and Diving: This new gameplay mechanic will allow players to seamlessly enter and traverse specific rivers, lakes, and seas in both new and existing areas throughout Eorzea. Players will also be able to dive underwater in select locations, even while riding flying mounts. Underwater areas will not only include new gathering locations, but also will provide an opportunity for NPC interaction.
· New Beast Tribe and Primal: The Ananta, an all-female beast tribe, is the newest of the beast tribes to be introduced to the world of FFXIV. This ancient tribe resides in the mountains near Ala Mhigo and worships the primal Lakshmi. Known for their skill in spell and gemcraft, the Lamia will play a very important role in the Stormblood main scenario as their persecution by the Garlean Empire is revealed.
· New High-Level Raid: The Bend of Time - Omega was announced as the high-level raid series for Stormblood. Omega has surfaced within the main scenario in the past, but this menace will soon appear in full force. The mystery behind the appearance of Omega and the significance of "The Bend of Time" will be unveiled through the story surrounding this raid.
· New Alliance Raid: Two special guest creators were invited to assist with the design of the newly-announced alliance raid "Return to Ivalice": Yasumi Matsuno (FINAL FANTASY XII / FINAL FANTASY TACTICS) will write the scenario surrounding the raid, while Keita Amemiya (Onimusha 2 / Shin Megami Tensei IV) will spearhead monster and boss design.
· Stormblood Theme Song: Legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu will return to create the main theme song for Stormblood.
Rounding out the announcements, SQUARE ENIX revealed information on the Stormblood collector's edition. This version features a special box with art decoration by Yoshitaka Amano, as well as:
Pre-orders for Stormblood will begin on January 24, 2017. Additional details for Stormblood will be shared during the European Fan Festival in Frankfurt on February 18-19, 2017.