The Lord of the Rings: War in the North Developer Tips
1. Sick of that troll knocking you to the ground? Try using your rolling dodge to avoid unblockable attacks by pressing B (Xbox 360), Circle (PlayStation 3), or Spacebar (PC). [Alternate without using buttons: Sick of that troll knocking you to the ground? Try using the rolling dodge to avoid unblockable attacks.]
2. Did you know that skill attacks arenít just limited to melee combat? Enter Ranged Mode to view your ranged skill attacks. Note: some ranged skill attacks can charge up to do extra damage.
3. The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is all about loot. The color of the itemís name will tell you if itís Common (white), Uncommon (green), Rare (blue), or Epic (purple) Ė each with better qualities than the last.
4. Did you know Beleram can attack certain structures, like crossbow turrets or towers? Use Ranged Mode to target a structure and then call in Beleram by using a Great Feather.
5. Whichever weapon you use, landing a critical strike on an enemy initiates Hero Mode so you can gain more XP and do extra damage.
6. Missed an on-screen tutorial message? Visit the Log, and select Tutorial Messages to scroll through a list of helpful hints and tricks.
7. One of the best ways to perfect your combat skills is a Challenge Map, unlocked after Sarn Ford. Beat these challenges for extra XP.
8. There are many potions that give your character bonuses. Use Andrielís racial ability to craft them, and then put them to use in a tight spot.
9. Want to tell your allies to defend their position, or attack a wave of enemies? Press up on the D-pad (or C on the keyboard) to tell your allies to go on the offensive, and down on the D-pad (or Z on the keyboard) to have them hold their ground.
10. Want Andriel to throw a sanctuary around you while playing solo? Move away from the fray and press down on the d-pad (so that your AI companions go into defensive mode). If thereís room from enemies, and she can break away, sheíll come to your aid.
11. Want to move an item around in your inventory? For console players, select the item in the Inventory screen, then hold the Ranged Attack button to move the item. For PC, simply left click, hold, and then drag and drop to a new inventory slot.
12. Keep an eye out for armor sets! If you equip multiple pieces of the same set, your bonuses will increase with each piece you wear.
13. Need to break the block of a tough enemy? Hold your block button then use your normal melee attack to push the enemy back forcefully, allowing you a chance to hit them.
14. A huge variety of elf-stones can be found in Middle-earth, which can be slotted in weapons and gear giving you extra abilities. Some items have multiple slots, so stack elf-stones for hundreds of unique combinations.
15. Want to learn more about Middle-earth? Keep an eye out for map fragments, which unlock the lore of locations in The Lord of the Rings that will bring the conflict in the North into greater focus.
16. War in the North is full of hidden rooms stuffed with loot. Each of the heroes can find their own unique secrets, so team up to maximize your benefits.
17. Chasing down AgandaŻr and his minions is just the beginning of your adventure! Talk to characters you find in towns for exciting side-quests that can give you sweet rewards.
18. A Compass is available to show the locations of your allies, as well as the next mission objective. Access the Compass (and the mini Quest Log) by pushing down on the right thumbstick, or Q on the keyboard.
19. Ranged and melee skill attacks are fun to use, but donít neglect your special skills Ė they can make the difference in a tough fight.
20. Outfitting new gear is awesome, but while youíre at it donít miss the mirrors in each town, which allow you to change the appearance of your character.
21. Teamwork is an essential part of War in the North, so make sure to explore online play and split-screen co-op.
22. After freeing Beleram the Great Eagle, he can be called to help in most outdoor locations by using a Great Feather. Enter ranged attack mode and press A (Xbox) X PS3) to summon Beleram if heís available.
23. Keep an eye on your item durability. If a durability icon appears on screen, visit a smith to repair your equipment, or equip another item until youíre able to visit a town.
24. Completing some missions will allow you your choice of gift. Open your inventory with Back (Xbox) or Select (PS3) and select the Gift Box to choose your gift. Make sure to check that you can equip the reward you select, as some are restricted to a particular hero or skill level.
25. Andrielís Sanctuary spell is great for protection from enemy ranged attacks, but it can also heal, providing you a safe place to rest, or go on the ranged offensive.
26. Many looted items are usable or equippable, but some are just useful for selling to merchants for coin. When speaking with a merchant, press the indicated button to sell all unessential items.
27. If you are playing as Eradan or Farin, use your arrows and bolts wisely, as you can only carry a limited amount. Enter Ranged Mode or view your Inventory to see how many arrows you can carry. If you need more, they are available at merchants or as loot.