"The interest that the Crackle App has received across mobile entities is hugely exciting and we are thrilled that users are choosing Crackle as the destination to watch feature films and television series all for free," said Phil Lynch, senior vice president, digital networks & games, , Sony Pictures Television. "The new and improved Crackle App will further our mission to provide unique, curated content to our existing fan base as well as new audiences through additional platforms."
Most recently the app garnered honors from the 16th Annual Webby Awards for Best Entertainment (Handheld Devices) and Best Use of Mobile Video.
Since its launch, the Crackle app has garnered top rankings on the iPhone, iPad and iPod, as well as Sony and other manufacturers' Android phones and tablets. Today's announcement continues a series of major content expansions and product launches for the brand, including Crackle's launch on the Xbox LIVE service in late January 2012—which has generated millions of online hours viewed by Xbox 360 users. Launches in 2011 included Sony Internet TV, Roku streaming players, Sony Blu-ray players and Sony Streaming Player, BRAVIA televisions, PlayStation 3 game consoles, Google TV and Google Chrome.
Providing high-quality video streaming, the Crackle App offers users a unique, free experience that includes unlimited viewing of the movies, TV series and Crackle original programming available on Crackle.com. Consumers can easily discover content in the Crackle App by browsing by movies, TV and originals or by genre. Key features of the Crackle App include:
- On demand viewing of hundreds of full-length movies and television series
- Free to view content with minimal commercial interruption
- Access to Crackle's award-winning original series
- Ability to pause viewing, fast forward and resume playback where the user last left off
- Ability to share via Facebook, Twitter and email
- HQ (high-quality) streaming video and ability to watch on 3G/4G or Wi-Fi
- Ability to build and manage ‘watchlists' of content for viewing on the app or on www.Crackle.com
- Airplay enabled for iOS devices which enables people to "beam" content from their phone to their Apple TV
New features include:
- Redesigned look, feel, and functionality
- Renewed focus on content along with clearer expiration communication including notification of items in a user's watchlist
- Updated Android video player to utilize HLS streaming
- Optimized graphics for retina display on iOS devices